Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Welcome February!

Whew! It seems like January flew right by! February is here and it brought a TON of snow to the folks in Indiana. As I was planning the topics I would teach this month, so many ideas came to mind. 

Of course we have the day of hearts and love, Valentine's Day...
or we could celebrate the men who helped to shape the good ol' US of A, President's Day...
or we could talk about the creatures that seemed to be only recognized on February 2nd, Groundhog's Day.
However, I settled on a topic that is near and dear to my heart, Black History Month. 

When I was younger, my parents made it a point to make sure I knew as much as possible about my history. This included viewing of Miss Jane Pittman and even Roots. 

I want my kiddos in the Resource Nook to know as much as they possibly can about their history!

So, I have settled on Black History Close Reads. Not only are they learning about their past, but they are learning skills for their future! ISTEP is going to be a HUGE struggle for many of my kiddos and we really have to learn how to sit and decipher text. We may not be perfect, but we will be better than we were. Remember, Practice Makes Better! 

                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment